Day One: Jesus Is Emmanuel (God With Us)
Jesus is Emmanuel, which means “God with us.” He was born in a manger, died on a cross, and came back to life.
Why did God come down to Earth to be with us in the first place? Why did He die, and how is He alive today?
Today we discover how even Jesus’ disciples who knew him personally had questions about His life, death, and resurrection. After Jesus’ death, He returned to Earth and walked with them, answering many of their questions about God’s rescue plan for the world.
Even though He died, Jesus’ return demonstrated how He is Emmanuel — God with us. He is still alive today and is close to us even though we cannot see Him. Please take the time to read the Scripture passage of Jesus on the walk to Emmaus: Luke 24:13-34.
This is a very big story that stirs hearts.
Here is the portion of the Bible from 2 Timothy 3:14-17 that we learned today.
“But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it…”
Our friends, Jane, Stephanie, Daphne the Dog, Ricky, and Fred are on the way to solving the greatest mystery of all time! Our first clue is the Bible. Remember, the Bible is the Word of God, and it speaks to everyone. As soon as you open up the pages, you’re talking to the King of the Ages.
With that in mind, take a moment to read Luke 24:13-34. What clues can we find about Jesus here?
- Jesus told a story to two of His disciples while they walked seven miles. That’s a really long way to walk, and really long time to talk.
- His disciples said that the story caused their hearts “burned within them,” as they were stirred by the story. The story that Jesus told must have been amazing.
- Sometimes when Jesus appeared to His disciples they did not recognize Him, but still wanted to stay with Him. They must have liked Him a lot even if they didn’t know who He was.Eventually their eyes were open and they recognized Jesus for who He was.
- The story that Jesus told the men is written down for everyone to read in the Bible.
Sylvester Sleuth discovers a disturbance in his office, explores the importance of finding evidence, and embarks on a journey to learn more about who Jesus is, from manger to cross.
Going back to Luke 24:13-34, what evidence have we found about who Jesus is?
- Jesus is God, and He is alive.
- Jesus is with me even though I can’t see Him.
- The story that Jesus told (the Bible) is so amazing that it makes hearts burn and eyes open. Have you ever felt like that?
- You can trust and believe the Bible; it can stir your heart and open your eyes.